Common Work and Living Conditions:
· Is not free to leave or come and go as he/she wishes
· Is in the commercial sex industry and has a pimp / manager
· Is unpaid, paid very little, or paid only through tips
· Works excessively long and/or unusual hours
· Is not allowed breaks or suffers under unusual restrictions at work
· Owes a large debt and is unable to pay it off
· Was recruited through false promises concerning the nature and conditions of his/her work
· High security measures exist in the work and/or living locations (e.g. opaque windows,
boarded up windows, bars on windows, barbed wire, security cameras, etc.)
Poor Physical Health:
· Lacks medical care and/or is denied medical services by employer
· Appears malnourished or shows signs of repeated exposure to harmful chemicals
· Shows signs of physical and/or sexual abuse, physical restraint, confinement, or torture
Indicators from National Human Trafficking Resource Center:
· Claims of just visiting and inability to clarify where he/she is staying/address
· Lack of knowledge of whereabouts and/or of what city he/she is in
· Loss of sense of time
· Has numerous inconsistencies in his/her story
Recognizing the Signs
*This list is not exhaustive. Not all indicators are present in every case.
If signs are present, it is an indication that further assessment may be necessary to identify a potential human trafficking situation. Indicators reference conditions a potential victim might exhibit.
Lack of Control:
· Has few or no personal possessions
· Is not in control of his/her own money, no financial records, or bank account
· Is not in control of his/her own identification documents (ID or passport)
· Is not allowed or able to speak for themselves (a third party may insist on being present
WE SHALL RISE
Many people ask, "How do I know someone is being trafficked?"
Below are signs that MAY indicate someone is being trafficked.
If you suspect that someone is being trafficked*, please contact the
National Human Trafficking Resource Center hotline at: 1-888-373-7888.
Poor Mental Health or Abnormal Behavior:
· Is fearful, anxious, depressed, submissive, tense, or nervous/paranoid
· Exhibits unusually fearful or anxious behavior after bringing up law enforcement
· Avoids eye contact
Phoenix Rising INC. does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.