Common Work and Living Conditions:
· Is not free to leave or come and go as he/she wishes
· Is in the commercial sex industry and has a pimp / manager
· Is unpaid, paid very little, or paid only through tips
· Works excessively long and/or unusual hours
· Is not allowed breaks or suffers under unusual restrictions at work
· Owes a large debt and is unable to pay it off
· Was recruited through false promises concerning the nature and conditions of his/her work
· High security measures exist in the work and/or living locations (e.g. opaque windows,
boarded up windows, bars on windows, barbed wire, security cameras, etc.)
Poor Mental Health or Abnormal Behavior:
· Is fearful, anxious, depressed, submissive, tense, or nervous/paranoid
· Exhibits unusually fearful or anxious behavior after bringing up law enforcement
· Avoids eye contact
Poor Physical Health:
· Lacks medical care and/or is denied medical services by employer
· Appears malnourished or shows signs of repeated exposure to harmful chemicals
· Shows signs of physical and/or sexual abuse, physical restraint, confinement, or torture
Indicators from National Human Trafficking Resource Center:
· Claims of just visiting and inability to clarify where he/she is staying/address
· Lack of knowledge of whereabouts and/or of what city he/she is in
· Loss of sense of time
· Has numerous inconsistencies in his/her story
Recognizing the Signs
*This list is not exhaustive. Not all indicators are present in every case.
If signs are present, it is an indication that further assessment may be necessary to identify a potential human trafficking situation. Indicators reference conditions a potential victim might exhibit.
Lack of Control:
· Has few or no personal possessions
· Is not in control of his/her own money, no financial records, or bank account
· Is not in control of his/her own identification documents (ID or passport)
· Is not allowed or able to speak for themselves (a third party may insist on being present
Many people ask, "How do I know someone is being trafficked?"
Below are signs that MAY indicate someone is being trafficked.
If you suspect that someone is being trafficked*, please contact the
National Human Trafficking Resource Center hotline at: 1-888-373-7888.
WE SHALL RISE